Los Angeles Alien Smuggling Attorneys
If you have been charged with smuggling an illegal alien into the United States, you are one of the many people facing this type of charge throughout the country today. With the recent crackdown on illegal immigration, border patrols and other law enforcement officials are on the lookout for people illegally smuggling aliens into the United States, and those who are suspected of this federal offense will be treated very harshly in the Federal Court system. Those charged with aiding or facilitating the illegal entry of a foreigner onto U.S. soil is in danger of facing serious penalties to be imposed by the Federal Courts.
Federal law makes it illegal to aid, sell, encourage or induce illegal entry of an alien into the United States. There are a number of actions which can be considered alien smuggling, including:
- Smuggling: Bringing or making arrangements to bring illegal aliens into the U.S.
- Transporting: Knowingly facilitating an illegal border crossing with an illegal alien.
- Harboring: Intentionally concealing or harboring an illegal alien.
- Encouraging or Inducing: when employers, family members, or advocates aid or assist illegal alien crossing.
- Hiring: When an employer hires, recruits, or refers a person knowing that they are illegal, or continues to employ a person after discovering their illegal status.
Alien Smuggling Defense
Due to the fact that alien smuggling violates federal law, individuals who are suspected of this can face additional charges of conspiracy, harboring, or transporting illegal aliens into the country. Most of these will be considered felony charges, and could result in up to 10 years in a federal prison if the defendant is convicted. The sentences given to people who violate federal immigration law can be very harsh, so it is important to have a Los Angeles alien smuggling lawyer who can aggressively handle this type of case.
If you or someone you love has been charged with alien smuggling or a related offense, you should immediately contact a federal criminal lawyer at Eisner Gorin LLP.
Related Information: Customs Offenses | Conspiracy/RICO Crimes